Monday, July 03, 2006

 

Let the Games Begin

7/2/06

I have to say, it was nice to get a bowling ball back in my hand after this chaotic week. In speaking with some of the Australian bowlers before the session began, they said the shot would be something closer to a “house” shot, rather than the difficult conditions we faced in Israel last year.

Again, for my non-bowling friends, here is where I will start to get more technical … just smile and read, and if you get bored or confused, skip down to the bottom.

For the most part, I was playing a shot between the first and second arrow. Depending on the pair, my body would move a board or two left or right; one some pairs (7 and 8 in particular) I was able to play right up the first arrow with relative success). Most of the morning, I used the Ti Messenger and the Ice for 10 pins; actually, it just happened to work that way. I started with my usual combination of the Heat and Mojo but when those went to get weighed (thanks Pat, our team manager, for standing in line with all our equipment) I just never switched back. Thankfully all the balls fit good on my hand and had a solid shot to the pocket (or 10 pin, as the case may be).

There will be some competition near the top and it will take good scores to place well, not just breaking even (which is 200 per game). Emil, Moshe, Josh (one of my teammates), Adam and Phil (both from Australia), and I should be the ones to hang around the top of the leader board most of the week. Obviously I wouldn’t be surprised if some other athletes are among these names and I hope that everyone does well in the competition.

A quick shower and it was off to the Governor’s House. I and three other Team USA athletes (and our Team Manager) with athletes from other countries were invited to Government House, adjacent to the Sydney Opera House, at the request of Her Excellency Prof. Marie Bashir. The house (both outside and inside) is exquisite and Her Excellency and her husband were so gracious and supportive of our efforts and the Games in Sydney.

The Opening Ceremonies were held inside the Sydney Opera House, which looks much smaller inside than you would think from the exterior. As with most of these ceremonies, they went on much to long and all I could think about was getting to sleep when I returned to the hotel. Here are a few photos from the Opera House and the ceremonies.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?